To celebrate going microbead-free and to help you make the change, our amazing friends at Essano are helping us run a microbead Amnesty in all New World stores. The Amnesty starts from Monday 10 July and will run at different times and dates in New World stores.
Simply bring one ‘old’ microbead product into your local New World store at the time and date you’ll find in our handy locator and swap it for a free full size sample of Essano Rosehip Gentle Facial Exfoliator. Your old product can be any brand in any condition – full or empty. The Amnesty is strictly for one product swap per customer, while stocks last.
Check here to find the date and time for the Amnesty at your local New World – and help us #savethesea.
Please select a region
Why has New World gone microbead-free?
The tiny beads of plastic used as an exfoliating agent in many skin cleansing products are finding their way into drains and ultimately the marine environment where they fail to break down or are consumed by marine life. We decided that we could play our part to protect our environment and we’ve deleted all microbead products from our New World supermarkets.
How do I know if my product has microbeads in it?
The presence of any of the following ingredients on the label may suggest microbeads are present: Polyethylene (PE), Nylon – 11, Nylon – 6, Polymethyl Methacrylate (PMMA), Polypropylene (PP) or head to beatthemicrobead.org and download the app to help you check. The product list below is also a good guide, as these products purchased before July 1 contained microbeads.
What products did New World used to sell containing microbeads?
The handy list below should help you identify microbead products which used to be on sale in New World, but for the Amnesty we will accept one tube or pot per customer of any brand of microbead product to exchange for one free tube of microbead free Essano Rosehip Gentle Facial Exfoliator or Primal Earth Calming Face Wash where available. Have a good hunt in your bathroom!
- QUICK FIX FACIALS FACE MASK EXFOLIATING SCRUB 100 MILLILITRE TUBE
- CLEARASIL DAILY CLEAR DEEP CLEANSING SCRUB 150ML
- CLEARASIL DAILY CLEAR FACIAL CLEANSER BLACKHEAD SCRUB 150ML
- STERADENT ULTRA 3 DENTURE FIXATIVE CREAM 40G
- CLEARASIL ULTRA PIMPLES + MARKS DAILY SCRUB 150ML
- CLEARASIL ULTRA RAPID ACTION DEEP PORE SCRUB 150ML
- STERADENT SENSITIVE EXTRA STRONG HOLD DENTURE FIXATIVE CREAM 40G
- GARNIER PURE 3 IN 1 WASH + SCRUB + MASK 150ML
- GARNIER PURE ACTIVE BLACKHEAD CLEARING SCRUB 150ML
- GARNIER DAILY ANTI-SEBUM ANTI-IMPERFECTIONS DEEP PORE WASH 150ML
- GARNIER PURE ACTIVE CHARCOAL SCRUB 150ML
- LOREAL PARIS MEN EXPERT PURE POWER WASH SCRUB 150ML
- GARNIER MOISTURE MATCH WAKE ME UP RADIANCE BOOSTING SCRUB 1KG
- CLEAN & CLEAR ADVANTAGE BLACKHEAD CLEARING SCRUB 140G
- NEUTROGENA ACNE-PRONE SKIN OIL-FREE DAILY SCRUB 125ML
- CLEAN & CLEAR DEEP ACTION DAILY SCRUB 150G
- AVEENO POSITIVELY RADIANT CLEANSER 200ML
- AVEENO POSITIVELY RADIANT SKIN BRIGHTENING DAILY SCRUB 140G
- NEUTROGENA OIL FREE ACNE STRESS CONTROL FACE WASH 125ML
- NEUTROGENA OIL FREE PINK GRAPEFRUIT FOAMING ACNE FACE WASH 125ML
- CLEAN & CLEAR DEEP ACTION IN-SHOWER OIL FREE FACIAL CLEANSER 150ML
- N/GENA DEEP CLN SHN CNTRL 125ML
- CLEAN & CLEAR MORNING BURST SKIN BRIGHTENING FACIAL SCRUB 141G
- NEUTROGENA PORE REFINING EXFOLIATING CLEANSER 198ML
- N/GENA DEEP CLEAN GENTLE SCRUB 125ML
- NEUTROGENA RAPID CLEAR BLACKHEAD SCRUB 125ML
- KING OF SHAVES SCRUB LIME 100ML
- NIVEA FOR MEN EXFOLIATING FACE SCRUB 75ML
- NIVEA GENTLE EXFOLATING SCRUB 150ML
- NIVEA DAILY ESSENTIALS 2 IN 1 WASH AND SCRUB 150ML
- NIVEA PURE EFFECT CLEAN DEEPER DAILY WASH SCRUB 150ML
- NIVEA PURE EFFECT ALL-IN-1 EXTRA DEEP CLEANSING 150ML
What happens with the product you collect in the Amnesty?
Once we collect all the amnestied product, Essano will work with us to separate and recycle the packaging and the contents. We’ll be extracting the microbeads from the amnestied product and then transforming that into another product with Alto Plastics. That way we’ll ensure that none of the beads end up either in our waterways or landfill. As far as we are aware, this has never been done before, but with typical Kiwi ingenuity – we are. Alto Plastics are an award-winning company who supply 100% recyclable trays for our butchery departments.
What do I do with any other products I have with microbeads in them?
If you can’t make it in store for the Amnesty, we’d ask that you don’t wash the product down the sink. Better to squeeze the product out of the package into your bin and then recycle the packaging as you would normally.
Who is Essano™?
Essano has one of the strongest Product Promises in mass retail channels and sells skin, hair and body products. Essano chooses plant based, natural ingredients, proven for their effectiveness and ability to deliver amazing results. They carefully select each and every ingredient and reject any harsh chemical that could irritate, contaminate or be unsafe for consumers. They also control their entire manufacturing process from “plants to products” so they have the ability to monitor every step of a product’s development. Essano has a high percentage of Certified Organic products in their range, working with ECOCERT, the world’s largest cosmetic organic certification. Essano also believes that natural, effective products shouldn’t be expensive or exclusive, that’s why they are found in New World at affordable price points.