About the knives
What is the Recommended Retail Price of the knives?Knife blocks = $179.90
Chef knife = $94.90
Santoku knife = $94.90
Bread knife = $84.90
Meat knife = $84.90
Utility knife = $72.90
Vegetable knife = $59.90
Can customers purchase the knives at full retail price?Knives and knife block cannot be purchased during the Campaign Period at the retail price.
Do I have to redeem the vegetable knife first?No, you can redeem any knife at any time during the promotion.
Is the box that my knives come in recyclable?Yes, the box the knives come in is made out of cardboard and is recyclable at kerbside. However, the black protective mould is made of Polyetheen (PE) which cannot be recycled.
What material are the knives and knife block made from?The blades as well as the handles of the SMEG kitchen knives are made of stainless steel. The blade is made from German stainless steel. The SMEG Knife Block is made of acacia wood and has a powder coated carbon steel body with EVA feet to prevent skidding.
Where are the SMEG knives produced? Is it an ethical factory?
How should I store my knives?A knife block is not only a really safe place to store your knives, our SMEG block is also a real eye-catcher on your countertop.
If you don’t have a knife block at home, you can also store your knives in your kitchen drawer. However we recommend to use knife sheaths to prevent the cutting edge from chipping or denting when clashing against other utensils. Other options to safely store your knives are a knife casing or a magnetic bar.
Are the knives dishwasher safe?Technically, all SMEG knives are dishwasher safe. However, to prolong the longevity of your knives, we do not recommend putting them in the dishwasher.
We advise handwash with warm, soapy water, and a non-scratch cloth or sponge. Don’t forget to dry your knives immediately!
Why do we recommend handwash?
• Handwash is gentler on the knives’ steel.
• During a washing cycle in the dishwasher, the knives’ blades can rub against other objects in the dishwasher. These objects can get damaged and the knives’ edges can get blunted.
• If the dishwasher is not switched on immediately, food remains can damage the knives’ blades.
• If incorrect amounts of detergent and rinse aid are used in the dishwasher, rust particles can appear.
We do understand however, that sometimes it is more convenient to use the dishwasher. But please, if you do, keep the following in mind:
• Don’t exceed a washing temperature of 55°C.
• Try to avoid any damage to other objects by putting the knives separately.
• The aggressive detergents used in the dishwasher can damage the surface of the knives’ steel and will have an impact on the knives’ lifespan.
Do the knives come with a quality guaranteeStandard we offer the standard legal warranty for manufacturing and material defects. Provided the product has been used in accordance with the instructions for use.
Will the knives rust?No metal is completely “stainless“. So please don’t allow (acidic) foods to remain on the blade. Food remains (spices, acids, sauces, …) can damage the blades and can cause pots (corrosion). Always clean them right away. This is also why we recommend hand wash. In most cases, these spots can be removed with a standard steel cleaning fluid.
How should I be sharpening my knivesKnives can become dull over time, after frequent use. Use a knife sharpener or a sharpening steel to sharpen a dull blade. In case you are using a knife sharpener, simply put the knife’s blade in the slot and gently pull it through a couple of times. If you prefer using a sharpening steel, make sure it has a higher hardness factor than the knife. Please note that serrated blades cannot be sharpened.
What is each knife for?
There's a knife for every occasion. Here are the recommended uses for each style of knife.
CHEF’S KNIFE - 19 cm
Large knife with a curved edge. With this all-rounder you can finely chop herbs, slice vegetables and cut fish and meat into pieces.
BREAD KNIFE – 19 cm
The classic serrated cut allows you to cut the crispy crust with little pressure, without crushing the soft interior.
SANTOKU KNIFE - 18 cm
Japanese knife which has a straight edge. Perfect for slicing big vegetables and fruit. Dimples reduce friction and improve non-stick quality.
MEAT KNIFE – 15 cm
Medium knife with a curved edge. Great for cutting all types of meat.
SERRATED UTILITY KNIFE – 13 cm
Small serrated knife with a straight edge. Perfect for slicing fruit and vegetables with a slippery or tough peel.
VEGETABLE KNIFE – 8 CM
Small knife with a straight edge. For agile and precise peeling and cutting.
Can my knife snap or chip?
It is possible for the knife to snap or snip. If the knife falls in the wrong angle it is possible that the tip of the knife breaks. t is also very important to cut on the right surface on order to avoid chipping. Avoid surfaces that can dull or damage your knife such as china, marble, granite, tile, Formica, porcelain, stainless-steel counter tops and glass.
How can I clean my knife block?The SMEG knife block is also not dishwasher safe and is to be cleaned with a soft damp cloth.
About the promotion
When can I earn and redeem stickers?New World customers can earn stickers from 00:01am on 2 November 2020 to 11.59pm on 24 January 2021.
There are 2 weeks following the core promotion where you can still redeem knives if you still have stickers. You will not be able to collect further stickers during this time.New World customers can redeem stickers from 00:01am on 2 November 2020 to 11.59pm on 7 February 2021 or While Stocks Last (up to 11.59pm 7 February 2021)
How can I earn stickers?For every $20 spent in one transaction after any applicable discounts (“Qualifying Spend”) at any New World store, or at New World Online, New World will provide customers with one sticker.. There will also be bonus products available each week which will be eligible for an additional sticker.
Can anyone participate in the promotion?Yes, this promotion is open to all New World Customers.
Can I collect and redeem stickers at any New World store?Yes, Customers can earn stickers at any New World store across both the North and South Island and online (North Island only). For safety reasons, knives and knife blocks can only be redeemed in store.
What happens if my store is out of stock?
We have brought in over 800,000 knives for this promotion. If there are no other knives (6 knives to collect, and 2 knife blocks) you would like in-store please ask a friendly staff member if they are getting any more stock in. If they are, bring in your stickers on that date to redeem, but get in quick while stocks last and we can’t guarantee we’ll have the style you want.
If you happen to find your local is out of stock of the specific knife you're after, hold on to your sticker booklet and try ringing your local again in a few more days to check or try at a different store once stock has been re-allocated.
We're doing our absolute best to make sure everyone receives the knife (and knife block) they're after, and due to popularity some styles may run out.
I just want the knife block but dont want to part pay.You can only redeem the knife block with a part pay option.
My store is out of stickers.As long as you are within the promotional period, keep your receipts and attach to your sticker booklet.
You have to spend so much money to collect enough stickers for only 1 knife.We want to reward our customers for shopping with us. And we think the chance to pick up a premium knife from New World, just for doing your usual shop is something many customers appreciate.
The promotion runs for 12 weeks and has a minimum qualifying purchase of $20, making it easy and accessible for all customers. Plus, our weekly bonus stickers and a cash top top-up option give customers plenty of flexibility and chances to earn stickers and redeem your knives, all by just doing your regular grocery shop.
Can customers receive Bonus stickers?One bonus sticker will be awarded when a customer purchases one or more product deals from a participating product range. Bonus products have a minimum $5 threshold so in some instances you must purchase the multi deal to be eligible for a bonus sticker.
What if I lose my stickers?Stickers should be treated like cash and thus cannot be replaced if lost or damaged. The number of stickers earned will be shown on your till receipt.
Can I share my stickers with someone else?You are welcome to share your stickers with friends and family. However, stickers are not cumulative, once redeemed you'll need to start a new sticker book.
Can I return or refund my product if I change my mind?Once redeemed products cannot be returned or refunded.
Can I earn stickers when I shop online?Yes. You will receive stickers in your I Shop Click & Collect or Delivery order. For safety reasons, please come in store to redeem your knives and knife block.
Stickers were missing from my online shopping order.We’re sorry to hear that! Please ring the customer services team at your store and let them know that your stickers were missing in your order and they’ll sort you out.
Terms and conditions
Full terms and conditions of the SMEG knives promotion
Promoter1. Foodstuffs (N.Z.) Limited (Foodstuffs) is the promoter of the New World SMEG Knives Promotion (Promotion).
2. By accepting a sticker and/or a Collectable (as defined below) you agree to these terms and conditions.
Participating Stores3. The Promotion is being run at all New World stores nationwide plus online at ishopnewworld.co.nz and through the IShop mobile application (Participating Stores).
Promotion Period4. The Promotion runs from 2 November 2020 – 24 January 2021 or until stock of any or each Collectable runs out (Promotion Period).
How to get a Sticker5. To collect a sticker, you must spend $20 or more (excluding spend on Christmas Club deposits, gift cards, prepaid debit cards, travel card top ups, phone card top ups, tobacco products, New Zealand Lotteries tickets and purchases paid for through charge accounts or purchases intended for wholesale or resale) in a single transaction at any Participating Store during the Promotion Period (Qualifying Spend).
6. Subject to clauses 15 and 16, one sticker will be given per Qualifying Spend. For example, $20 = 1 sticker, $40 = 2 stickers, $60 = 3 stickers and so on.
7. Stickers must be collected on one pre-printed official ‘New World SMEG Collector’s Card’ and cannot be collected on multiple ‘New World SMEG Collectors Cards’.
8. You can collect a sticker:
a. at checkouts at the time of a Qualifying Spend;
b. from the customer service station when using the self-checkout after a Qualifying Spend; or
c. for online shopping customers who have made a Qualifying Spend, in the envelope containing the stickers earnt and delivered with your groceries.
How to get a Collectable9. You can redeem the stickers you collect to receive Collectables during the Promotion Period instore only, either at checkouts or from the customer service station.
10. To redeem your stickers during the Promotion Period, you can either:
a. Stickers only: subject to the clause 11, collect the number of stickers specified in the table below to receive the corresponding Collectable; or
b. Stickers and payment: collect the number of stickers specified below and pay the amount specified in the table below to receive the corresponding Collectable (Cash Top Up).
11. You can only collect the Knife Block Collectable by way of Cash Top UP i.e. by collecting the number of stickers specified in the table below and paying the amount specified in the table below to receive the Knife Block. There is no “stickers only” option for the Knife Block.
Cash Top Up - Payment and stickers
8cm Vegetable Knife
12 stickers and $15.00
13cm Utility Knife
15 stickers and $15.00
15cm Meat Knife
17 stickers and $15.00
19cm Bread Knife
17 stickers and $15.00
18cm Santoku Knife
20 stickers and $15.00
19cm Chef’s Knife
20 stickers and $15.00
40 stickers and $50.00
12. If you are using the Cash Top Up option you must make the required payment at the time the stickers are redeemed.
13. If you are an online shopper you can collect your stickers when your groceries are delivered in accordance with clause 8.c but you must come instore to redeem your stickers for Collectables in accordance with clause 9.
14. Each Collectable requires a separate full set of stickers, as specified in these terms and conditions, which are not cumulative. For example,
a. you must collect 25 stickers to receive an 8cm Vegetable Knife and you must then collect an additional 25 stickers to receive another 8cm Vegetable Knife; or
b. if you choose the Cash Top Up option, you must collect 12 stickers and pay $15.00 to receive a 8cm Vegetable Knife and you must then collect an additional 12 stickers and pay an additional $15.00 to receive another 8cm Vegetable Knife.
Bonus stickers15. At certain times during the Promotion Period, you will be able to collect ‘Bonus Stickers’ by purchasing a particular supplier’s products or product bundle (Bonus Supplier Products or Product Bundle). These products and their promotion dates are listed at www.neworld.co.nz/SMEG. One Bonus Sticker will be given for each Bonus Supplier Product or Product Bundle purchased and may be used towards the required number of stickers required to be collected to receive a Collectable, as specified in these terms and conditions.
Double stickers16. The Promoter may, at its discretion, select certain time periods during the Promotion Period to be a double sticker period (Double Sticker Period). When customers make a Qualifying Spend during the Double Sticker Period, the customer will receive two stickers for every Qualifying Spend. For example, $20 = 2 stickers, $40 = 4 stickers, $60 = 6 stickers and so on.
Other things you should know17. To be eligible to participate in this Promotion you must be 18 years of age or older.
18. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for lost stickers or Collector’s Cards.
19. Stickers, Bonus Stickers, Collector’s Cards or Collectables are not transferable or redeemable for cash.
20. The Promoter reserves the right to modify, suspend or terminate this Promotion at any time.
21. The Stickers, Collector’s Cards and the Collectables themselves (either individual or complete sets) must not be exchanged or on-sold.
Exclusion of liability22. Subject to any applicable laws which cannot be excluded, the Promoter and each Participating Store, their respective employees and agents will not be liable for any loss, damage or injury of any nature incurred or suffered by any person (including but not limited to direct or consequential loss or loss arising from negligence) arising directly or indirectly out of or in connection with this Promotion or with redeeming stickers in exchange for Collectables.
23. The Promoter and any Participating Store may, in their sole discretion, refuse to provide stickers or a Collectable if it believes that a customer has behaved in a fraudulent or dishonest manner, or otherwise than in accordance with these terms and conditions.
Disputes24. In the event of a dispute concerning any aspect of the Promotion the decision of the Promoter will be final. No correspondence concerning any decision made by the Promoter will be entered into.
Contact25. Any questions relating to this promotion should be referred to the Marketing Department, Foodstuffs (N.Z.) Limited, Auckland, New Zealand or phone 0800 463 996.
Win a SMEG bar fridge terms and conditionsSMEG FRIDGE WEEKLY PRIZE DRAW– TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Terms and conditions1. Entry into this competition is deemed acceptance of these and any other applicable terms and conditions. This competition may have additional terms and conditions and wherever possible the additional terms and conditions will be posted at here.
Promoter2. The Promoter of this competition is Foodstuffs (N.Z.) Limited (Foodstuffs).
Promotion Period3. The competition commences on 2/11/2020 and runs until close of trade on 7/2/2021 (Promotion Period).
How to enter
4. You will receive one entry into a weekly draw each time you redeem stickers you have collected (in accordance with the terms and conditions for the SMEG Knives promotion) for a SMEG knife or knife block during the Promotion Period and swipe or scan your Clubcard, Flybuys, or Airpoints™ card instore (Loyalty Card) at the time you redeem your SMEG knife (Eligible Entry) at all New World stores nationwide (Participating Stores).
When you make an Eligible Entry you will automatically be entered into the weekly draw for the week that you made the Eligible Entry.
5. If an entry is made by a Flybuys secondary card holder swiping that Flybuys card, the entry will be made in the name of the primary Flybuys card holder.
6. The number of times you can enter the Promotion each week is determined by the number of Eligible Entries made each week during the Promotion Period. For example:
a. if you validly redeem 2 SMEG knives during the second week of the Promotion Period and you swipe or scan your Loyalty Card, you will receive two entries into that week’s prize draw and so on; or
b. if you validly redeem 1 SMEG knife in the second week of the Promotion Period and one SMEG knife in the fifth week of the Promotion Period, you will receive one entry into the prize draw for the second week of the Promotion Period and one entry into the prize draw for the fifth week of the Promotion Period.
Eligibility to enter and to win a prize7. To be eligible to enter this competition and win a prize:
(a) you cannot be a New World or Flybuys staff member;
(b) you must have made an Eligible Entry;
(c) you must have complied with the SMEG knives promotion terms and conditions (neworld.co.nz/SMEG);
(d) you must be 18 years of age or older;
(e) you must be a current Flybuys member or Air New Zealand Airpoints member and/or New World Clubcard member; and
(f) you must consent to Foodstuffs using your name, photo, hometown and image for publicity and promotional purposes (including the display of your name in store) and you must make yourself available for publicity photographs relating to the competition on request for no additional compensation.
How winners will be selected8. During the Promotion Period there is 1x SMEG 42L Bar Fridge (Prize) to be won each week.
9. There are 14 prizes to be won in total during the Promotion Period valued at $1,999.00 each. The total prize pool is valued at approximately $27,986 NZD.
10. One winner will be randomly selected by Loyalty New Zealand Limited (Loyalty) from all Eligible Entries received during each week of the Promotion Period. The first eligible winner drawn each week will win a Prize. Each winner will be drawn no later than two weeks after the end of the week that the entry was received (for example, for all entries received during the week of Monday 2 November – Sunday 8 November the winner of that week’s Prize will be selected by Sunday 22 November).
If prize becomes unavailable11. Subject to any applicable law that cannot be excluded, Foodstuffs is not responsible or liable for any loss suffered by any entrant in the event that a prize becomes unavailable for reasons beyond its control. In this event, Foodstuffs may substitute a prize of its choice.
Notifying winners12. Winners will be notified by Foodstuffs or its agent once a draw has been completed within 5 working days of the draw, via the contact details on record for the Loyalty Card used to enter the competition (or the primary Flybuys card holder if a secondary card was used). In the event that a winner cannot be contacted within 7 working days of a draw occurring or if Foodstuffs determines that a winner is not eligible to participate in a draw the prize will be forfeited, a further draw will be conducted and the prize allocated to the new winner.
13. Foodstuffs is not responsible if a winner cannot be contacted following the draw due to incorrect or out of date contact details being recorded in the Loyalty Card’s system, and any such winner will forfeit the prize to the next eligible winner, on these Terms and Conditions.
Prize conditions14. Prize winner(s) must collect at the specified store. If prize winner(s) are unable to collect at that store, within the collection period stated, a further draw may be conducted and the prize allocated to a new winner.
15. Prizes are not transferable, exchangeable or negotiable and are not redeemable for cash.
16. Winners can only be awarded one prize. If a winner is drawn for any additional prize, the prize will be forfeited, a further draw will be conducted and the prize allocated to the new winner.
Verifying compliance with these terms17. Foodstuffs reserves the right to verify the identity of any entrant (including an entrant's identity, age, city/town of residence and place of employment) and to verify the validity of entries and to disqualify any entry or refuse to award a prize where false or misleading details have been given by an entrant, or an entrant has behaved in a fraudulent or dishonest manner, or otherwise than in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
Exclusion of liability
18. Subject to any applicable laws which cannot be excluded, Foodstuffs, any Participating Store, their respective employees and agents will not be liable for any loss, damage or injury of any nature incurred or suffered by any person (including but not limited to direct or consequential loss or loss arising from negligence) arising directly or indirectly out of or in connection with this competition or with winning, redeeming or benefiting from the Prize.
Disputes19. In the event of a dispute concerning any aspect of the competition including eligibility the decision of Foodstuffs will be final. No correspondence concerning any decision made by Foodstuffs will be entered into.
20. In addition to these Terms and Conditions, terms and conditions of your Loyalty Card, depending on the card you swipe or enter for an Eligible Purchase will also apply.
21. Foodstuffs reserves the right to amend, suspend or terminate the competition and these Terms and Conditions at any time.
23. Any questions relating to this promotion should be referred to the Marketing Department, Foodstuffs (N.Z.) Limited, Auckland, New Zealand or phone 0800 463 996.