A fun recipe for all the family to enjoy and try getting creative with the kids when decorating your gingerbread cookies.
View the method
- 2 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 150 g butter
- 1 cup firmly packed Chelsea soft brown sugar or Chelsea dark cane sugar, (220g)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Chelsea icing sugar
- food colouring and lollies to decorate
Back to ingredients
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Sift flour, baking soda and ginger together and place in a bowl or food processor.
- Add Chelsea soft brown sugar or dark cane sugar.
- Add butter and rub in with fingertips or pulse in food processor until resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add egg and stir or pulse to mix. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour to the mix and wrap in cling wrap. Refrigerate for half an hour.
- Roll out on lightly floured surface or between 2 sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick,
- Using cookie cutters, cut shapes and place on tray. Form leftover dough into a ball and reroll and repeat cutting out until all the dough is used up.
- Bake gingerbread men for 8-10 minutes or until cooked and golden. Remove from oven and cool on baking rack.
- Make icing by adding a few drops of food colouring and 1½ tsp water to the icing sugar and drop a small amount under each spot where you wish to place a lolly.