Classic chocolate cake
Kids love to bake! Get them involved with this great recipe for a Classic chocolate cake, sweet, easy and delicious!
- 175g butter, softened
- 1 ¾ cups CHELSEA White Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup NESTLÉ Baking Cocoa
- 2 cups EDMONDS Self Raising Flour
- 1 cup milk
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 100g NESTLÉ Melts Dark
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C conventional or 160°C fan-forced.
- Line the base and sides of a 22cm round cake tin.
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla essence until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift cocoa and flour together then mix into creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- When cold, ice with chocolate ganache (recipe below) or dust with icing sugar if wished.
- For the chocoalte ganache place all the ingredients in a bowl. Bring a small quantity of water to the boil in a saucepan. Remove saucepan from heat and place the bowl firmly on top. Stir until the chocolate melts and mixture is well blended. Allow mixture to thicken by cooling slightly.
- Spread ganache over top of cake.
TOP TIP: Double the ganache recipe if you want to ice the sides of the
cake as well (or split the cake and fill it with ganache).