Torta di arancia
This is a lovely cake to share with friends and family – impressive, yet easy to make.
- 125gr butter
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 1 tbsp grated orange rind
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp orange liqueur or brandy
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup ground almonds
For the syrup:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups orange juice
- Preheat oven to 180°c. Paper line 20cm cake tin.
- Cream butter, sugar and orange rind until light and fluffy. Beat eggs in one at a time. Beat well. Stir in orange liqueur.
- Mix together semolina, baking powder and almonds. Fold into creamed mixture. Pour into cake tin and bake 30 mins or until a a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Place sugar and orange juice into a saucepan. Boil briskly for 5 mins. Cool slightly. Remove cake from oven, pour syrup over and allow to cool in tin.
Turn onto plate and serve.