- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 320g beef steak
- 2 Tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 corn cob, husk & silks removed
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 celery stick, thinly sliced
- ¼ small red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 carrot, peeled & cut into matchsticks
- 2 radishes, sliced & cut into matchsticks
- 1 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- salt & pepper
1. Preheat a barbecue or griddle panto a high heat.
2. Bring a pot of (salted) water to the boil for cooking the corn.
3. Season the meat (on both sides) with a pinch of salt and pepper.
1. Juice the lemon. In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise and 1 Tbsp of lemon juice with a pinch of salt and pepper.
2. Add the celery, cabbage, carrot and radish to the bowl and toss until well coated with the dressing, then sprinkle over the almonds.
3. Set aside while you cook the steak.
1. Brush both sides of the steak with half the BBQ sauce, then cook for 3-4 min each side for medium rare (or cook to your liking).
2. Remove the steak, then brush both sides with the remaining BBQ sauce. Cover and rest for 5-6 min.
While the steak is resting, cut the corn cob in half and place in the pot of boiling water for 5-6 min.
Slice the steak (on the diagonal) into thin strips and divide between two plates. Add the corn cobs and top each one with a teaspoon of butter and serve the slaw on the side.
A quick way to make even carrot matchsticks is to peel the carrot into long wide ribbons using a vegetable peeler. Halve the ribbons and then pile them up and slice into matchsticks.
Alternatively use a julienne peeler if you have one.