- 900g beef mince
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 300g Mainland Egmont Cheese, sliced
- Olive oil for frying
- Tropical slaw:
- 1 cup De Winkle Natural Yoghurt
- ½ cup good quality mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ a fresh pineapple, cut into small cubes
- 1 ripe mango, sliced thinly
- ½ red cabbage, shredded finely
- 3 spring onions
- ¼ cup roughly chopped coriander
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 6 brioche or ciabatta buns
- Heat oven to 200°C. Season the beef with salt and pepper and form into 6 hamburger patties. Using your thumb, make a dimple in the middle of each burger.
- Splash oil in a cast-iron pan over medium heat. Place patty in in the pan, dimple side down, and cook for 3 minutes; turn, add the cheese and place in the oven for another 5 minutes, until the cheese melts.
- For the slaw, combine the yoghurt, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Keep a third aside. Combine the rest of the slaw ingredients in a large bowl and add the dressing to coat.
- With the remaining yoghurt mix, add the tomato sauce to create ‘thousand island’ dressing
- To assemble, warm buns in the oven or on the BBQ for a minute, then add dressing to the base. Top with cheesy patties, then slaw.