Butternut with chickpeas
Serve this simple dish with grilled flat bread, yoghurt and mint and your favourite chutney. I love this dish with pan-fried beef sausages too. Tip - you can cover the saucepan, partially with the lid if the liquid is evaporating too quickly during simmering.
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp Finely grated ginger
- 1 Green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup Tomato passata
- 1½ cups Vegetable stock
- 600 g Butternut, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 400 g Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook for about 20 seconds until aromatic. Add the onion and cook until the onion begins to soften, 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and stir to combine. Pour in the tomato passata and vegetable stock along with the butternut.
- Gently bring up to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the butternut is tender and the liquid has reduced. Stir in the chickpeas, taste to see if you need to add salt and heat through, about 5 minutes.