Moroccan spiced roast chicken
WINE MATCH: Selaks Reserve ChardonnayThis dish is best complemented by our beautifully balanced, Selaks Reserve Chardonnay. It is a distinctive Hawke’s Bay style with lifted aromas of stonefruit and citrus, bursting with white peach and nectarine flavours, with a touch of oak.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 heaped tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 heaped tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- ½ preserved lemon – flesh and pith removed, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup pitted prunes, roughly chopped
- 2 medium red onions – peeled and sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to200°C. Prepare the chicken by patting it dry inside and out and removing any excess fat from the cavity opening and tail end.
- In a small bowl, combine the dry spices (cinnamon, coriander, cumin, ginger, salt and pepper), preserved lemon and oil, and mix to a paste. Add the prunes. Coat the outside of the chicken with the spice and prune mixture, in addition to stuffing inside the cavity.
- Scatter the sliced red onions into a roasting dish and place the chicken on top. Mix together the stock, honey and a slug of olive oil and pour this around the chicken. Cover with tinfoil and cook for one hour.
- Remove the cover, reduce the temperature to 180 degrees C and cook for a further 20 - 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and dark golden on top.
- Serve with couscous and a carrot salad.
Visit www.selaks.co.nz for more.