Pomegranate Star Anise Little Meringues
View the method
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 large egg whites at room temperature
- ½ cup castor sugar
- pinch salt
- 1Tbsp raw sugar
- 1 star of star anise
- 1T icing sugar
- ½ cup cream
Back to ingredients
- Place star of star anise and the 1Tbsp raw sugar in an electric spice grinder and grind to a very fine powder.
- Beat the egg whites with the pinch of salt until stiff peaks form. Then add the castor sugar slowly bit by bit at high speed until stiff glossy peaks form. Lastly add 1tsp of the anise powder and combine.
- Turn oven to 80 deg Celsius only and tray up the meringues. Do this by covering your baking tray in parchment paper and getting two teaspoons. Take a heaped teaspoon of your meringue mixture and with the second spoon scrape it off onto the paper into little piles. Bake in middle of oven until dry but still white (approx. 1.5 hrs.) then cool in oven one hour or overnight.
- When ready to serve whip the cream with the 1Tbsp icing sugar and 1tsp of the anise powder. Apply cream to the top of each meringue and garnish with three pomegranate seeds.