Summer smash pavlova
"I can't seem to make nice Pavlova. I could buy it ready-made - but they're rather expensive and too big for 4 and sometimes - a bit too sweet. My Kiwi take on 'Eton Mess' - is quick and easy - tastes terrific - and gives more fruity flavour than either of those meringue-y puds."
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 4 - 5 coloured meringues
- 1 x 300 mls bottle of cream
- Kiwifruit or berry liqueur or brandy (optional)
- 1 small banana
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 kiwifruit
- Small punnet of strawberries
- First: toast the sliced almonds in a small non-stick pan until golden. (Watch they don't burn) Set aside.
- About 30 minutes before serving: Smash the meringues up roughly in a large bowl.
- Whip two-thirds of the bottle of cream - not too stiffly. (Reserve remaining cream) Add a slosh of liqueur or brandy to the whipped cream - if liked. (otherwise a little vanilla extract is nice).
- Mash the banana with the lemon juice and fold into the whipped cream.
- Peel the kiwifruit and slice thinly. Hull and slice the strawberries.
- Fold banana cream and kiwifruit and strawberries into the smashed meringues.
- Stir through remaining (unwhipped) cream to loosen up the mixture.
- Pile into individual serving dishes (or into your nicest cut-glass bowl) and sprinkle with toasted almonds.