Bacon, Leek and Peas with Fettuccine
A packet of frozen peas is always in my freezer and when combined with bacon and leeks make a very quick, delicious pasta dinner.
View the method
- 300 grams fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200 grams thick cut bacon, cut into thin strips
- knob of butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- To serve:
- Parmesan for shaving
Back to ingredients
- Cook the fettuccine in a large saucepan of boiling well salted water until al dente.
- Drain the pasta, reserving ⅓ cup of the cooking water. Tip the pasta back into the saucepan and toss with a little olive oil.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and cook the bacon until lightly golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towels, leaving the bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the butter, onion, leek, garlic and tarragon and season. Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the wine and peas and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream, Parmesan, parsley, bacon and the reserved cooking water, season and cook for 1-2 minutes.
To serve: Divide between serving bowls and top with extra Parmesan and a grind of black pepper.