Banana, Carrot and Yoghurt Loaf
This dense, delicious loaf doesn’t compromise on flavour or texture. It’s best made one day ahead of serving and keeps beautifully for four days.
- ¾ cup gluten-free plain flour
- ¾ cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup mashed over-ripe bananas (about 3)
- 1 cup finely grated carrot
- 1 large egg, size 7
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- ½ cup golden syrup
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To cook
- 1 firm but ripe banana
- brown sugar, for coating
1. Grease a 6-cup capacity loaf tin and fully line with baking paper, bringing it 2cm up above the edge of the tin.
2. Preheat the oven to 160°C fan bake.
3. Sift all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl.
4. Whisk all the remaining ingredients together in a separate bowl then add to the dry ingredients and stir together, making sure there are no pockets of flour in the batter. Pour into the tin.
5. Cut the banana into long, thin slices and sprinkle one side with brown sugar. Place sugar side up over the batter.
6. Bake for about 85 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If the top is getting very brown, cover loosely with a piece of foil.
7. Cool completely in the tin. Makes 1 loaf