Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Orange and Hazelnuts
While I acknowledge not everyone is a fan of Brussels sprouts, if properly cooked then tossed in a delicious caramelised honey, cinnamon and orange glaze this recipe might just convert those who thought they didn’t like this brassica.
View the method
- 600 grams small, firm Brussels sprouts
- 100 grams bacon, roughly chopped (we use Freedom Farms)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- zest of ½ an orange
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 50 grams hazelnuts, roasted
Back to ingredients
- Trim any ragged leaves off the sprouts and cut in half through the root.
- Heat a large sauté pan and cook the bacon over a medium heat until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the sprouts, cut side down, to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Add the water and immediately cover and cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until the sprouts are just tender but still have a little bite. Uncover and increase the heat.
- Add the honey, cinnamon, garlic, orange zest and chilli flakes and toss the sprouts to coat in the honey glaze. This should only take about 1 minute.Add the bacon and hazelnuts to the pan and combine. Tip into a serving bowl and serve immediately.