Crispy on the outside with a creamy filling, these gorgeous croquettes are packed with juicy ham and well-seasoned mashed potatoes. Serve with a tomato relish or garlic aioli.
- 500 grams floury potatoes, peeled and chopped roughly
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 spring onions, very thinly sliced
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 300 grams ham, diced finely
- ¾ cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil for shallow frying
Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and tip back into the saucepan. Place over a low heat to drive off excess moisture. Mash well then stir in the butter, garlic, mustard, spring onions, cottage cheese and nutmeg. Season well then set aside to cool.
Stir in the ham, Cheddar and parsley. Form into small, fat cylinders about 6cm long and chill until firm. Put the eggs, flour and breadcrumbs into 3 separate dishes and season.
Dip the croquettes in the egg, then the flour then the breadcrumbs, patting them on well to adhere. Heat a little oil in a saute pan and cook the croquettes on all sides until golden and crisp.
Drain on kitchen towels then serve immediately.