Mixed Tomato, Chickpea and Mozzarella Salad
Use whatever tomatoes are best on the day but a good selection of colours and sizes certainly makes for an impressive dish.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400-gram tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon purchased Moroccan spice mix
- 1 kilogram assorted tomatoes
- 2 balls fresh mozzarella in whey, drained
- fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- pinch chilli flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, toasted and roughly ground
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ cup each basil and parsley, finely chopped
- sea salt and ground pepper
Dressing: Whisk all the ingredients, except the herbs, together and season. The herbs are stirred in just before serving.
Chickpeas: Heat the oil in a sauté pan and add the chickpeas. Cook for 10 minutes, tossing frequently, then add the spice mix and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt, then cool.
To serve: Cut the tomatoes into slices, halves and quarters and arrange on a serving platter with the mozzarella. Add the herbs to the dressing and spoon some over the top. Scatter with a quarter of the chickpeas and garnish with basil leaves. Serve the remaining dressing and chickpeas separately.