- 6 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise*
- 2 tsp. American mustard
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large carrot
- 12 black peppercorns
- Hard-boil the eggs. To make them easier to peel, put the eggs in an ice bath for up to an hour after cooking.
- Cut a small slice off the smaller (flatter) end of the eggs. Then cut a 2-3cm slice from the top (pointy end). Keep this slice for later.
- Scoop the yolks out of the eggs and put in a bowl with the mayonnaise, mustard and salt. Mash together with a fork until thoroughly mixed.
- Put this mixture into a piping bag (if you don’t have a piping bag, fill a plastic sandwich bag with the mixture and snip one of the corners off).
- Pipe the mixture into the empty egg whites until the mixture sits a few centimetres above the egg. Place sliced piece of egg on top of each chick.
- Slice carrot into small circles and carve into little feet for your chicks. Cut out small triangles of carrot to be used as beaks.
- Sit each egg on top of a pair of carrot feet and create a face by sticking a carrot beak and two peppercorn eyes into the filling.
- Serve cold. Best eaten within two hours.