Pinot Braised Lamb “Stifado”
What could be better than a delicious lamb casserole on a cold winter’s night? Enjoy by the fire with a glass of Pinot Noir.
View the method
- 1 lamb shoulder (boneless and approximately 2kg)
- Salt and pepper to season
- Olive oil
- 2 leeks
- 1 bunch silverbeet, trimmed with stalks still attached
- 1 fennel bulb
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 cup Pinot Noir
- 1 can tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 big sprigs rosemary, coarsely chopped
- Olives to taste
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 250g feta
- 2 spring onions, sliced and any remaining fennel fronds
Back to ingredients
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Dice the lamb shoulder into 3cm cubes. Season with salt and pepper and sear in a casserole dish with the olive oil.
- Coarsely chop the leeks, silverbeet, fennel and garlic and add to the lamb. Stir until softened then deglaze with Pinot Noir.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and rosemary. Fill the tomato can with water and add this to the mix.
- Cover casserole and place in oven for 1½ hours. Remove and add olives and rice. Cover and place back in the oven for 45 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle over the feta and sliced spring onions then let sit for 5 minutes, or until feta is softened, before serving.