- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 200g bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 can corn kernels, drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen vegetables, chopped or grated if using fresh vegetables
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 12 slices bread
- 2 cups grated cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a baking or casserole dish.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and bacon and cook until the onion is soft.
3. Add the garlic, carrot, corn and vegetables to the pan and fry for five minutes. Remove from the heat.
4. In a bowl whisk the eggs and milk and season with salt and pepper.
5. Butter one side of the bread slices.
6. Place a layer of bread in the bottom of your baking dish (butter side down). Top it with some of the bacon and vegetable mix and a sprinkling of cheese. Repeat the layers until all of the bread and bacon vegetable mix has been used. Finish with a layer of grated cheese on the top.
7. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and let it soak for 5 minutes. You may need to press down the bread and vegetable mix to make sure the egg mixture has reached the bottom.
8. Bake the pudding in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the egg is set. Allow it to cool in the baking dish for a few minutes before serving.