- 4 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil (using 2 tablespoons at a time)
- 1kg potatoes, cooked or the equivalent of leftover mashed potato
- 3 lightly packed cups silverbeet, kale, spinach, or cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup spring onions, chopped
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 2-3 teaspoons salt
- Lemon for garnish
1. Melt half of the butter in a pot and add the chopped greens. Cook for three or four minutes until they are wilted, then add the green onions and cook for another minute.
2. Add the potatoes and milk or cream to the pot and mash until everything is well mixed.
3. Add the egg, flour and salt and mix well.
4. Chill the mixture for 15 minutes to make it easier to shape the patties.
5. Form the mixture into little cakes of whatever size you want, but make them flat so they will cook through without burning. If the mixture is too wet, add more flour until the mixture is easy to shape.
6. Heat the remainder of the butter or vegetable oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, place the formed patties in the pan so they are not touching. Lower the heat to medium and gently fry until golden, about three or four minutes.
7. Turn and cook the other side. Let the cakes rest on a paper towel while you cook the others. Serve with slices of lemon.