Microwaved stuffed apples with honey mascarpone
- 200g mascarpone cheese
- 2 Tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4 apples
- ½ cup mixed dried fruit, chopped finely (we used apricots and cranberries)
- 2 Tbsp nuts, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chocolate, chopped
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (or liqueur of your choice)
- 1 Tbsp water
1. Place the mascarpone into a medium sized bowl and whisk until smooth. Add honey, cinnamon and lemon zest and combine well. Set aside.
2. Use an apple corer to remove the core. If you don’t have a corer, you can use a vegetable knife (the blade will need to be long enough to cut from the top to the bottom of the apple easily). Carefully cut a square around the centre core, ensuring the knife perforates the bottom of the apple. Once all four sides of the square have been cut, push the core through cleanly with your thumb.
3. Score a small cut around the circumference of the apple.
4. In a small bowl, mix together dried fruit, nuts, chocolate, brown sugar and maple syrup.
5. Place the apples into a microwave-proof dish. Spoon the dried fruit mix into the cavity in the centre of each apple, pressing down firmly to allow for extra filling. Fill to the top.
6. Add a spoonful of water to the bottom of the dish. Microwave uncovered on high for 9-10 minutes. Remove from microwave and allow to sit for 2 minutes (as the apple will continue to cook). If cooking the apples individually, allow 3 minutes cooking time.
7. Serve hot with mascarpone cheese.
If using a whole lemon for lemon zest, freeze the leftover lemon in an airtight container in the freezer. Frozen lemons work well for lemon zest and are easy to grate when required.