Savoury spinach cheesecake with homemade tomato sauce
"Who would ever believe that a savoury cheesecake could be as good, if not better, than a sweet one. Originally from South Africa, but this is truly an "International Recipe" to be enjoyed by all people!"
- South African
- 100ml melted butter
- 250g Jatz (savoury) biscuits (1 packet), crushed
- 1 bag 350g frozen spinach, steamed and drained
- 200g-250g bacon bits
- 1 Medium onion finely chopped
- 250g container light cream cheese
- 350ml sour cream
- 4 extra large eggs lightly beaten
- 125g feta cheese, crumbled
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Tomato sauce:
- 15ml cooking oil
- 2 large onions finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 125ml tomato puree/paste
- 125ml chutney
- 5ml Dijon mustard
- 10ml Worcester sauce
- 80ml sweet sherry
- 80ml water
- 5ml vinegar
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees.
- Grease 20cm loose bottomed cake tin with butter or non stick spray.
- Mix melted butter and crushed biscuits.
- Press firmly into tin and place in fridge.
- Squeeze all excess liquid out of steamed spinach.
- Fry bacon until lightly cooked.
- Add onion and fry until soft and fragrant.
- Beat together cream cheese, sour cream and eggs.
- Add the bacon and onion mix, spinach and feta and mix together well.
- Remove crust from the fridge and pour spinach mixture over the crust.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Serve warm, room temperature or cold with home made tomato sauce.
- Heat oil and saute onions and garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Add all remaining sauce ingredients and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
For non bacon lovers try substituting bacon with 25g tinned salmon or tuna