- 250g high-grade or 00 flour (Pasta)
- pinch salt (Pasta)
- pinch white pepper (Pasta)
- 2 eggs plus 4 egg yolks (Pasta)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (Pasta)
- 600g field mushrooms (Smoked mushrooms)
- Manuka sawdust for the smoker (Smoked mushrooms)
- 50g good quality parma ham (Baked parma)
- 2 free range organic cooked chicken breasts (Chicken mousseline)
- 4 free range organic cooked chicken thighs, deboned (Chicken mousseline)
- 200g ashed soft goats cheese (Chicken mousseline)
- 50g parma ham, finely chopped (Chicken mousseline)
- ½ of the smoked mushrooms, finely diced (Chicken mousseline)
- ½ cup cream (Chicken mousseline)
- Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper (Chicken mousseline)
- 3 shallots, roughly sliced (Mushroom puree)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (Mushroom puree)
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed (Mushroom puree)
- ½ of the smoked mushrooms (Mushroom puree)
- 100 ml red wine (Mushroom puree)
- 100ml cream (Mushroom puree)
- salt and pepper (Mushroom puree)
- 4 shallots, roughly sliced (Red wine sauce)
- 1 TBSP olive oil (Red wine sauce)
- 2 cups red wine (Red wine sauce)
- 5 Tbsp cabernet vinegar or red wine vinegar (Red wine sauce)
- 1 Tbsp white sugar (Red wine sauce)
- 100ml cream (Red wine sauce)
- 50g wild rocket leaves (To serve)
- shaved parmesan cheese (To serve)
- avocado oil (To serve)
- Place flour and salt in a food processor. Start to mix. Add whole eggs and mix, then add yolks and oil. Process until a ball of dough forms. Add a dash of chilled water if necessary to form a ball.
- Remove from the food processor and knead on a clean benchtop until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and rest for about 30 minutes.
- Moisten the Manuka sawdust slightly and put into the bottom of your smoker.
- Peel the mushrooms. Lay them stalk side up on the rack of your smoking tray. Place the lid on the smoker and place over an open flame.
- Smoke the mushrooms for 12-15 minutes.
BAKED PARMA HAM
- Place parma ham on a baking tray lined with baking paper and put in a hot oven for 5-10mins until crisp.
- Remove from oven and set aside until ready to serve.
- Roughly chop the chicken meat and place in the bowl of a food processor. Blitz for 5-10 seconds.
- Add the goat’s cheese, and parma ham and continue to blitz. Slowly add the cream until combined. Transfer the mix to a bowl and fold through the finely diced mushroom.
- Place mix, covered in the fridge until ready to use.
- Sauté the shallots and garlic in a saucepan. Add mushrooms and stir.
- Add red wine and cream and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Put the mix in the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Taste and season accordingly. Place puree in a piping bag in the fridge until ready to serve.
RED WINE SAUCE
- Sauté the shallots in a large saucepan over a high heat.
- Cook until onions just begin to colour.
- Add red wine, cabernet vinegar and sugar and cook out for about a minute.
- Add the cream and simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Strain mixture. Just before serving, froth the sauce using a stick blender.
FORMING THE TORTELLINI
- Divide the dough into 4 or even 6 equal pieces that are easier to work with. Roll the dough out using a pasta machine, starting at the widest setting twice, then twice on each setting until the dough is about 2mm thick. You don’t want it too thin or it will become too hard to work with and will not contain the filling properly.
- Cut out 16 dough circles approx. 8-10cm in diameter.
- Place spoonfuls of the chicken filling in the middle of each circle. Brush the edge of ½ of the dough circle with water, then fold the dough over and seal firmly.
- Now wrap one end of the semicircle around your thumb, dab with water, then press the other end of the dough onto this.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add a splash of olive oil. Place the tortellini in the boiling water and cook for about 5-6 minutes or until just tender.
- Spoon some frothed red wine sauce onto each plate. Place 4 tortellini on top of this, then pipe some small dollops of mushroom puree onto the tortellini and around the plate. Spoon a little more red wine sauce over this. Dress with the rocket leaves, parmesan, avocado oil, and the baked parma ham cut into spiky shards.