Apple cranberry pie
"A family favourite at Thanksgiving and other occasions. The sweetness and tartness of both the apples and cranberries combine deliciously, and the hint of brandy adds a warm note. And nothing's as American as apple pie, right?"
View the method
- 1 prepared double pie crust
- 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 8 large baking apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1.5 Tbsp brandy
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- egg yolk, mixed with a dash of cream
Back to ingredients
- In a large bowl, mix together cranberries, sugar, flour and spices.
- Add apples, then brandy and vanilla and combine gently until apples are coated and berries dispersed.
- Place bottom pie crust in baking dish and mound apple mixture inside.
- Place the top crust on, crimp edges and cut vent(s) in center.
- Brush top and edges of pie with egg mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 50 minutes on a rack in the bottom 1/3 of the oven.