Scrumptious seafood chowder
"I have made this in a large quantity to serve as a first course for over 50 people. There is never a scraping left over. It can be kept warm in a slow cooker for an indefinite time on the lowest possible heat setting."
View the method
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 packet of surimi mix from the frozen department
- 1 fillet white fish cut into 2cm cubes
- prawns or any other fish as desired
Back to ingredients
- Melt butter, and saute finely chopped onion.
- Remove onion and add flour to the remaining butter.
- It should bubble as it is added, then cook gently for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the milk, then stirring briskly, add to the flour mixture to make a custard consistence (roux sauce)
- Adjust the milk at this stage, it may need more.
- Add the packet of surimi mix and gently simmer till warm.
- Add the diced fillet of fish.
- At this stage, add the shelled, deveined prawns or any other shellfish as desired.
- Add half to one cup grated tasty cheese and half cup oyster sauce.
- Test for flavour and add salt and pepper if required.