WINE MATCH: Selaks Reserve Merlot Cabernet For the perfect pairing, try serving alongside our Selaks Reserve Merlot Cabernet. With a bouquet of wild berries and a hint of spice, it displays flavours of ripe blackberry and plum with subtle oak. The finish is long and satisfying.
- 4 medium sized eggplants
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 large onions (red or brown), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ tsp each of salt & ground black pepper
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ - 1 cup water
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Trim any stalks off the eggplants, then, using a small knife or potato peeler, peel off strips of the skin lengthways, leaving alternate strips of skin and exposed flesh. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- Heat ¼ cup of the oil in a pan and fry each of the eggplants, turning so they brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1/4 cup of the olive oil in the pan, to a medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook gently for 10 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic, cook for a further 2 minutes, then add tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, until it reduces and deepens in colour – about 10 minutes.
- Pack the eggplants into an oven proof dish so they fit snugly. Cut a slit in each eggplant, (not all the way through though) and spoon some of the onion and tomato sauce inside each cavity. Spoon the remaining tomato mixture on top.
- Mix the sugar, lemon juice and water and pour this around the eggplants until it almost covers them. Cover the dish with a lid or double layer of foil and bake for 45 minutes or until the eggplants are tender, even collapsing.
- Remove the lid or foil, add grated parmesan and bake for 10-15 minutes more until the juices are reduced and syrupy and the top is golden.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, either as a side to roast meat, or as a vegetarian main dish on its own.
Visit www.selaks.co.nz for more.