- 1kg of cross-cut blade steak
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 500ml of beef stock
- 100ml of red wine
- Salt and pepper
- 150g of fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium sized onions, diced
- 1 cup of flour seasoned with ¼ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper and 1 teaspoon of dried Mediterranean herbs
- Cut braised steak into bite sized pieces; dip in flour seasoned with salt, pepper and dried Mediterranean herbs and shake off excess flour.
- In a large pan heat the oil and brown the meat in small batches.
- Add 2 chopped onions and cook until softened then add beef stock, red wine and water until the meat is just covered. Heat until the dish just comes to a simmer.
- Cook covered for about 1½ hours or until beef is tender. Check the level and consistency of sauce from time to time while cooking, add water if necessary.
- Adjust seasoning and add roughly chopped mushrooms, cook for a further 15 minutes until mushrooms are soft and cooked and serve on a butter rich potato mash.