New World is committed to protecting your privacy. We have robust systems in place to provide you with services and information tailored to your individual needs while complying with our obligations under the Privacy Act 2020 (Privacy Act).
The Services are intended for use by people located in New Zealand and are not intended for use by anyone located outside of New Zealand.
• visit New World stores;
• use New World’s online supermarket where you can search for and purchase grocery items through the New World website or mobile application (Online Shopping);
• use New World’s Clubcard loyalty programme (Clubcard);
• use any of New World’s websites and mobile applications;
• register to receive regular marketing communications; and/or
• any other services we provide now or in the future,
(together, the Services).
2. COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION AND YOUR PRIVACY
From time to time we may collect or request personal information from you in the course of providing you, or by you accessing and using, the Services. Personal information is any information about you that identifies you, or by which your identity can reasonably be ascertained.
3. WHAT INFORMATION MIGHT WE COLLECT?
The type of personal information we may collect when you access and use the Services includes your name, postal and delivery address, email address, phone number and any other information that we request.
In addition, in the course of using some of the Services (for example, Online Shopping or Clubcard), we may collect various other information from you, including demographic information (e.g. age, gender), mobile location data, order information (e.g. your preferences, purchases and returns history) and other information that we request.
You may register with New World to receive regular marketing communications from us, for example via email or text message. If you choose to register to receive regular marketing communications or to use any of the Services, you will need to provide us with certain personal information to create an account, which may include your name, age, postal address, email address, phone number and other requested information.
If you do not provide us with some of this information then you may not be able to access some or all of the Services, including the marketing communications available after registration.
4. WHY DO WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We collect personal information in order to provide you with, and allow you to access and use, the Services.
By accessing and using the Services, or by registering to receive marketing communications, you agree that we may collect, store and use any of your personal information including to do any of the following:
• To allow you to access and view your account created to receive the Services or marketing communications;
• To assist in providing the Services that you request, including to contact you about your use of the Services and process and deliver any orders placed through the Services. For example, if you are a Clubcard member, we may contact you in relation to store transactions where you have scanned your Clubcard, or, if you made a purchase through Online Shopping, we may contact you about your order;
• To allow you to participate in competitions and promotions which may be available to New World’s customers from time to time;
• To contact you for other Foodstuffs’ marketing and promotional purposes;
• To take actions required to keep your information secure;
• To enhance your overall experience of the Services;
• To provide or send you targeted marketing (or allow a third party to provide you) via email, online (including social media) or physical mail, with details of special offers, discounts, prize draws, loyalty programmes (including Clubcard), competitions and information about products or services offered by New World, or other third party providers, or other information that may be of interest to you, your family or household;
• Identify and determine the benefits, offers or promotions that may be of interest to you, your family or household based on your use of the Services;
• To undertake data analytics, insights or data mining (including the anonymisation or aggregation of your personal information with other data to identify patterns and trends, and use the full benefit of that analysis);
• To build a view of you as a customer by collating all personal information that New World, Foodstuffs, and our partners and service providers, hold about you, including collected via any Foodstuffs’ managed platforms or services, in a single profile, so that we can analyse and improve your experience and the services provided to you by New World;
• To conduct research related to your use of the Services;
• Help you complete any application by you to join Foodstuffs’ loyalty programmes (including Clubcard); and
• Such other purpose we make known to you at the time of collection.
In doing so, your personal information may be combined with other personal information held by Foodstuffs, our partners and service providers.
Where possible, New World will collect your personal information directly from you.
5. DO WE DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION TO ANYONE ELSE?
In providing you with, or by you accessing and using, the Services, including where you register for an account to use the Services, we may sometimes need to disclose your personal information to others. By using one or all of the Services you agree that we may disclose your personal information for any of the purposes listed in the above section to:
• a Foodstuffs entity and its staff;
• a franchisee of Foodstuffs;
• for Clubcard users, to Loyalty New Zealand Limited (which operates Fly Buys);
• for Clubcard users, to Air New Zealand Limited (which operates Airpoints);
• any relevant third party that offers goods or services that we think may be of interest to you (for example, fuel providers);
• a third party outside of New World who is contracted to us (or Foodstuffs) to provide a particular service to you on our behalf;
• a third party outside of New World who is contracted to us (or Foodstuffs) to provide a particular service to us (or Foodstuffs);
• to our appointed payment provider to process your payments for purchases; and
• third parties when we believe in good faith that we are required to do so by law.
You consent to the disclosure of your personal information to the parties listed above.
6. COOKIES AND TRACKING
We may use the information generated by cookies to:
• track traffic patterns to and from the relevant website;
• ensure any content (which may include any advertising) is being shown to the most appropriate person; and
• enable us to serve targeted advertising to you (on our Site and elsewhere).
By using the Services you consent to the storing and accessing of cookies or other information on your device in connection with your use of the Site.
7. ANALYSIS TOOLS
We use various app, web and/or email analytics tools to collect information about your activity when you use the Services through one of our websites or mobile applications (e.g. newworld.co.nz, Online Shopping or Clubcard). The information we collect through the use of such analytics tools may be information about you (e.g. products, services, or specials that you engage with on the relevant website) or anonymous information (e.g. the number of visitors per day or the average amount of time spent on the relevant website). By accessing and using one of our websites, you consent to our use of such analytics tools to collect information about your access and use of the Services through that site.
8. DIRECT MARKETING AND CONSENT TO RECEIVING MESSAGES
When you register to receive marketing communications from us, your name and contact details will be added to our New World database (and/or a database of Foodstuffs), and you consent to receiving messages from us by email, text message, or physical mail (depending on what information you provide us and your stated preferences).
All commercial electronic messages from us will contain an unsubscribe function if you no longer want to receive commercial electronic messages from us. You can unsubscribe from receiving emails from New World at any time by clicking the link in any email you receive from us through to your account and changing your account preferences, by unsubscribing from an email itself, or by contacting the specified New World email address (if applicable). To opt-out of receiving text messages from us, either reply ‘STOP’ to a text or update your account preference details. We will endeavour to update your account preferences as soon as possible. If you unsubscribe or cancel your registration we may not be able to provide you with all or some of the Services.
9. SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Security of personal information is very important to us and we will take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. However, you acknowledge that security of the transmission of data over the internet can never be guaranteed, and it is your sole responsibility to protect access to any emails you receive from us that provide access to your account. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Foodstuffs will not be liable for any direct or indirect damage or loss if any third party gains unauthorised access to your information.
10. ACCESSING, CORRECTING AND UPDATING PERSONAL INFORMATION
Your personal information will be held by Foodstuffs (N.Z.) Limited or Foodstuffs North Island Limited at Roma Road, Auckland 1440, or by Foodstuffs South Limited at Main North Road in Christchurch and/or by one or more of Foodstuffs' trusted data service providers. Under the Privacy Act you have the right to access your personal information that we hold, and to have that information corrected and/or updated. You may be able to update some of your personal information online via your account. To otherwise access, correct or update information we hold about you please contact our Customer Support Centre on 0800 4 NEW WORLD (0800 463 996). We will rely on the information that you have provided us so please ensure that information is accurate and kept up-to-date.
If you find that information we hold about you is incorrect, please contact us immediately and we will correct it. Our contact details are above.
Last updated: 1 December 2020