- 75 grams butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Grated rind half a lemon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 orange-fleshed kumara, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 2 red onions, peeled and quartered
- ½ cup coarsely chopped olives
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves or chopped fresh parsley
- Grated rind ½ lemon
- Juice one lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Mix together the butter, oregano, marjoram, garlic, lemon and cinnamon.
- Using a pair of kitchen scissors or shears, cut down either side of the chicken's back bone. If you don't have shears, use a heavy cook's knife as it will cut through any bones with ease. Turn the chicken breast side up on a chopping board and press down on the bird to flatten.
- Using your fingers (which are gentler than a knife), carefully lift the skin away from the breast and thigh area. Spread half the butter between skin and meat and spread the remaining half on top of the chicken
- Place the bay leaf into a large roasting dish or an ovenproof frying pan. Sit the chicken on top and arrange the kumara and onions around it. Roast at 190°C for 50-60 minutes. Serve on a platter pouring any juices from the pan over the chicken before scattering over the Olive & Herb Topping.