- 1 ½ tsp paprika
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup thick natural yoghurt
- 1 cup of coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 cup of mint, roughly chopped
- Place the paprika & curry powder in a hot pan and toast until fragrant. In a large bowl, add the toasted spices, half of the yoghurt, 3 garlic cloves and the juice of ½ the lemon. Season with salt and mix together.
- Using a sharp knife, make shallow 1-inch slashes in the meat of the drumsticks. Add the chicken to the yoghurt marinade and toss to coat. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, but 4 hours is best for maximum flavour.
- To make the raita, place the remaining lemon juice, 1 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp of yoghurt, herbs and the remaining garlic into a blender and blitz. Transfer to a bowl and stir through remaining yoghurt.
- Barbeque the chicken over a medium heat for 30 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Drizzle the raita over the chicken and serve immediately.
If you like a little bit of heat, add 1 tsp of chilli powder to your spice mix and 1 green chili to your raita for some extra oomph. Make it a meal and serve with a side of rice.
With NZs unpredictable weather, take this recipe inside to bake in the oven for 45 minutes at 200C fan bake for a delicious meal rain, hail or shine.