- 1.5 kg whole chicken, room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 head of garlic + 3 cloves
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- Large handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 brown onions, cut into chunks
- ½ cup chicken stock or white wine
- Preheat your oven to 200°C fan bake. In a bowl, combine the butter with 3 finely chopped garlic cloves, 1 sprig of finely chopped rosemary leaves, chopped parsley, salt and pepper.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and place it in a large roasting dish. Use your hand to loosen the skin from the chicken, then rub the butter mixture over the chicken and under the skin.
- Cut the garlic head in half horizontally. Place into the cavity of the chicken, along with some of the onion chunks and the remaining rosemary sprigs. Tie the legs with cooking string if desired.
- Scatter the remaining onion and garlic into the roasting dish. Pour the chicken stock into the dish, then place in the oven to roast for 50-60 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked through and the juices run clear.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before carving, then slice and enjoy!
Mix up the flavour of your roast by using any fresh herbs you’ve got on hand. Thyme, oregano, sage and tarragon are all delicious additions!