Slow cooker chicken and apricot stew
Looking for a flavoursome, slow cooked meal option? This chicken and apricot tagine style stew is not only easy to prepare, but influenced by Moroccan flavours that will satisfy the whole family.
- Slow Cooker
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp minced ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2x 400g Pams Italian Diced Tomatoes Chilli & Herb
- 200ml chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 6 bone in chicken thighs
- ⅓ cup dried apricots
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds, to garnish
- Cooked couscous or rice and parsley, to serve
- Place a frying pan over a medium heat, then add a generous drizzle of olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and ginger, and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onion begins to soften. Stir through the cinnamon and transfer to a slow cooker.
- In the same pan, sear the chicken thighs for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden, then add to the slow cooker.
- Pour the Pams Diced Tomatoes and chicken stock into the slow cooker, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, then add the honey and mix well.
- Place the slow cooker on a low heat, and cook for 5-6 hours. After four hours, add the dried apricots and cook for a final 1-2 hours or until the chicken is falling from the bone.
- Remove the bones from the chicken, then stir the meat through the sauce. Serve the tagine while hot with couscous or rice, and garnish with sliced almonds and parsley if desired.
SKILL LEVEL: EASY
If the sauce is looking too thin by the end of the cooking time, simply stir together 1 Tbsp cornflour and 2 Tbsp water to make a slurry. Stir into the sauce, and allow time to thicken.