Dairy free luxury chocolate cake
"Luxury taste for those on a restricted diet."
- Dairy free
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 cups boiling hot water
- 1 pack 400g Pitted Dates
- 1 heaped cup self raising flour
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 heaped cup Icing Sugar
- 2 tsp Rum essence
- 1 Tbsp crushed Walnuts
- Approximately 1/2 cup cold water
- Place dates in bowl.
- Dissolve the cocoa powder in the boiling water.
- Pour the cocoa mixture over the dates.
- Leave to soak at least four hours or overnight.
- Stir occassionally making sure all dates covered.
- Stir in the self raising flour.
- Mix carefully and well.
- Place in a small round baking tin that has been sprayed with rice bran oil spray.
- Bake 30-40 minutes at 180 deg C.
- Test with skewer after 35 minutes.
- If comes up clean, cake is ready.
- Take out of tin, cool on wire rack.
- Mix cocoa powder and icing sugar together in a small bowl.
- Carefully add the water a little at a time and beat until smooth with wooden spoon.
- Add rum essence and beat again to glossy finish.
- Coat the cake with the icing then sprinkle walnuts on top.
- Cut into slices and enjoy.
- NOTE This cake freezes well.