- 1 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 100 g butter, chilled and diced
- 3-4 tbsp cold water
- 150 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
Coconut short pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Put the flour, coconut, sugar and butter into a food processor until the mixture resembles crumbs. Pulse in sufficient cold water to form small, moist balls of dough. Turn out and bring together.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured bench to 3mm thickness and use to line the base of 12-16 small tartlet tins. Use boat-shaped tins, patty-pan or mini muffin tins. Prick well with a fork. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until the pastry is cooked. It will begin to turn toast coloured on the edges and the centre of the pastry should be cooked. Cool.
Vanilla 'n' chocolate cream filling
- Place the chocolate in a saucepan with the cream and stir over a low heat until the chocolate melts. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla essence.
- When thick but not set, spoon the mixture into the prepared pastry cases. These are best served at room temperature.