For the biscuit base:
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup coconut thread
For the topping:
- 395g tin condensed milk
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 30g unsalted butter
- 200g mixed nuts
- 100g dark chocolate
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the soft butter and brown sugar until light and creamy.
- Mix through the flour and coconut thread until well combined – this should be crumbly!
- Firmly and evenly press the biscuit mixture into a standard lined slice tin.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Once cooked, remove, and leave to cool until firm.
- While the base is in the oven make the caramel filling. Add the condensed milk, golden syrup and butter to a medium pot and bring to a boil then turn to low heat, stirring constantly to avoid burning. After around 10 minutes of cooking, this mixture should become thick and deep golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour the caramel onto the cooled biscuit base and spread evenly. Top with the mixed nuts and bake for another 10 – 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals. Drizzle over the cooled caramel slice and cut into slices when ready to serve.
Top tip: add a heavy pinch of sea salt flakes to your caramel mixture while it’s cooking for a salted-caramel taste sensation!