Christmas trifle with strawberries and jelly
This classic layered dessert is bound to bring on happy memories this festive season. Raspberry jelly, custard, sponge, luscious whipped cream and fresh strawberries, make for an irresistible combo. Inspired by the Christmas tradition with a tamariki-friendly twist (orange juice!) so everyone can join in on the celebrations.
- 2 packets (170g) raspberry flavoured jelly crystals
- 2 Tbsp powdered gelatine
- 250g strawberries, roughly chopped + extra to garnish
- 1kg vanilla custard
- 1 trifle sponge, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 300ml Pams cream, whipped.
- To make the jelly, dissolve jelly crystals and gelatine in 1 ½ cups of boiling water. Stir in 2 ½ cups of cold water, then pour a cup of the jelly into a 3L trifle bowl. Place in the fridge for 40 minutes or until set.
- Once set, place the cut strawberries on top and gently pour over the remaining jelly. Set aside in the fridge for 1 hour or until set.
- Spread the custard over the jelly in an even layer.
- Layer the sponge on top of the custard and drizzle over the orange juice.
- Spoon the whipped cream over the sponge and garnish with extra strawberries.
Top tip: Toasted sliced almonds and a dusting of icing sugar make a delicious finishing touch to this Christmas trifle.
Instead of using a store-bought sponge, why not try making your own? Here is Edmonds sponge cake recipe.