Panko crumbed fish bites with smashed peas
Get the kids stuck into this deliciously easy recipe! Golden and crispy panko crumbed fish bites pair perfectly with our fresh and zesty smashed peas; our take on a fresh, family and budget friendly meal option.
- 450g firm white fish fillets
- ⅓ cup plain flour
- 1-2 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- Rice bran oil, for pan frying
- 400g frozen peas
- 30g butter
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4-5 fresh mint leaves, finely shredded
- Aioli and fries to serve, if desired
- Lay the fish fillets on a board, and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut into bite-sized pieces of your choice. Crumb by coating in seasoned flour, beaten egg then panko crumbs, then set aside.
- Bring a frying pan to a medium to high heat with a generous drizzle of rice bran oil. Once hot, pan fry the fish pieces for 2-4 minutes on each side depending on thickness, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- While the fish is cooking, bring a pot of water to the boil, then cook the peas for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Drain, then lightly mash with the butter.
- Stir the lemon zest, lemon juice and mint leaves into the smashed peas, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the smashed peas with the crispy panko crumbed fish bites, along with freshly cooked fries and aioli if desired. Enjoy immediately.