Quick eggplant parmigiana
Eggplant parmigiana embodies the flavours of Summer, and this lighter grilled version will be on the table in 30 minutes! Layers of eggplant, mozzarella, tomato sauce and fresh basil make for a quick and simple meal that the whole family will enjoy.
- 2 eggplants, sliced into 1cm rounds
- Olive oil
- 1 x 510g jar Pams pasta sauce
- 200g fresh and sliced or grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- Freshly grated parmesan, to finish
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius fan bake. Lay the eggplant slices onto a tray or board, then drizzle with olive oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a grill pan to a medium to high heat. Grill each eggplant slice for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until charred and golden. Set aside.
- To assemble the parmigiana, spread half of the pasta sauce into the base of an ovenproof dish. Lay ¼ of the eggplant slices into the dish, then top with a spoonful of pasta sauce, a slice or sprinkle of mozzarella and basil leaves. Repeat the layers 3 times or until all the eggplant slices have been used.
- Top the final eggplant slices with sauce and mozzarella, then place into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling.
- While the parmigiana is baking, place a nonstick frying pan over a medium to high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Once hot, add the breadcrumbs and herbs to the pan, and cook while stirring for 3-4 minutes or until golden and crispy. Remove from the heat.
- Once the parmigiana has baked, scatter the toasted bread crumbs over the top and garnish with parmesan and fresh basil leaves. Serve while hot and enjoy.