- 2 eggplants, sliced into 1cm rounds
- Olive oil
- 1 x 510g jar Pams pasta sauce
- 200g fresh and sliced or grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- Freshly grated parmesan, to finish
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius fan bake. Lay the eggplant slices onto a tray or board, then drizzle with olive oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a grill pan to a medium to high heat. Grill each eggplant slice for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until charred and golden. Set aside.
- To assemble the parmigiana, spread half of the pasta sauce into the base of an ovenproof dish. Lay ¼ of the eggplant slices into the dish, then top with a spoonful of pasta sauce, a slice or sprinkle of mozzarella and basil leaves. Repeat the layers 3 times or until all the eggplant slices have been used.
- Top the final eggplant slices with sauce and mozzarella, then place into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling.
- While the parmigiana is baking, place a nonstick frying pan over a medium to high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Once hot, add the breadcrumbs and herbs to the pan, and cook while stirring for 3-4 minutes or until golden and crispy. Remove from the heat.
- Once the parmigiana has baked, scatter the toasted bread crumbs over the top and garnish with parmesan and fresh basil leaves. Serve while hot and enjoy.