Old fashioned pumpkin pie
"I first had this dish when my family started celebrating Thanksgiving with another American family. We have been making it every year ever since. It's great any time of year after a roast."
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cooked and mashed pumpkin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 can evaporated milk or 1 2/3 cups light cream
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
- Blind bake the crust. That is, put the single crust into a pie dish and bake at about 180 degrees until the crust is just cooked and starting to turn colour. This is tricky, because the crust is likely to buckle or slip. Sometimes it helps to poke some holes in the crust with a fork. Some people weight the crust down with dried beans on a piece of grease proof paper, but the paper might stick to the crust.
- In a bowl, mix an egg yolk with 1-2 tsp water. Brush this mixture on the pie crust and return to the oven. Remove from the oven when the egg looks cooked and shiny. The egg will form a seal that keeps the crust from going too soggy when you add the pumpkin mix.
- Before adding the wet mix to the pie shell, it's probably best to heat the pie mix to just below the boil. Bake in the oven until all but the centre of the pie looks set. Remove from the oven. The centre of the pie should set as the pie cools.
- Beat eggs lightly with a rotary beater, beat in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into piecrust. Bake 15 minutes in a preheated 450 degrees F oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for 45 minutes longer or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool.