- 1L - 1.5L salt-reduced vegetable stock
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 300g arborio or risotto rice
- 1 cup mixed frozen vegetables of your choice
- 200g champagne or sliced leg ham, diced
- 30g butter
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan
- In a saucepan, bring the stock to a boil then remove from the heat and set aside to keep warm.
- Place a heavy based pan over a medium heat with a generous drizzle of olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and garlic then saute for 4-5 minutes or until the onion has softened. Stir in the rice, and cook while stirring for a further minute.
- Lower the heat, then add the warmed stock into the rice one ladle at a time, stirring until all the liquid has absorbed before adding another. Repeat until the stock is incorporated, or until the rice is tender to the bite.
- A few minutes before the rice has cooked through, stir the frozen vegetables and ham into the risotto, and cook for 2-3 minutes to allow the vegetables and rice to cook through.
- To finish, stir the butter and parmesan through the risotto, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately and enjoy.
TOP TIP: This risotto can be used as a base for any protein and vegetable combination! Simply replace the frozen vegetables for roasted pumpkin or baby spinach, and swap the protein for an instant twist on this easy dinner.