Mediterranean pork meatballs
A Mediterranean twist on a classic, these flavoursome meatballs nestled in a rich tomato sauce are a delicious option for any season! Complemented by flavours of olive, feta and fresh herbs, serve this quick recipe alongside your favourite green salad or with fluffy couscous.
- 500g pork mince
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp + 2tsp dried oregano
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup ricotta or Greek yoghurt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 400g tomato passata
- 1x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup olives
- 100g feta cheese
- Fresh parsley or oregano, to garnish
- Lemon wedges and salad, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius fan bake. In a mixing bowl, combine the pork mince, half of the diced onion, 1Tbsp dried oregano, lemon zest, ricotta, egg and breadcrumbs. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix well to combine.
- Leave the meatball mixture to sit for 10 minutes at room temperature before rolling. After 10 minutes, roll the mixture into 15-16 meatballs, then place on a lined roasting tray. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the meatballs are golden and almost cooked through.
- While the meatballs are cooking, bring an ovenproof pan to a medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the remaining diced onion and garlic cloves and saute for 2-3 minutes or until the onion begins to turn translucent.
- Once the onion has softened, add the remaining dried oregano and ground cinnamon and stir to combine. Following the spices, add the tomato passata and chopped tomatoes, then stir and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer the tomato sauce for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then nestle the par cooked meatballs into the sauce and gently turn to coat.
- Sprinkle the olives around the meatballs, then crumble the feta cheese over the top. Place into the oven and bake for a further 10-15 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese has melted slightly.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly before serving. Garnish with fresh herbs, and serve with lemon wedges and a side salad.