Parmesan pork schnitzel with apple slaw
Schnitzel gets a fresh Summer revamp with this delicious take on a classic. Crunchy, parmesan crumb encases juicy pork, served with a crisp apple slaw; a match made in heaven! Ready in 30 minutes, you need to add this recipe to your culinary repertoire.
- 2 pork steaks or chops
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 1-2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- Rice bran oil
- ¼ green cabbage, shredded
- 1 green apple, julienned
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp chopped hazelnuts or walnuts
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Aioli and fresh parsley, to serve (optional)
- To prepare the pork, lay a pork steak onto a chopping board. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap or baking paper, then use a rolling pin to flatten to a consistent 1cm thickness. Once flattened, cut in half lengthways and repeat with the remaining pork steak.
- To crumb the pork, first coat in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Next, coat in beaten egg, followed by bread crumbs mixed with the grated parmesan.
- Bring a nonstick frying pan to a medium to high heat with a generous drizzle of rice bran oil. Once hot, pan fry the schnitzels for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside on a paper towel.
- Assemble the salad by tossing the cabbage, apple, celery and hazelnuts together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard and olive oil. Season to taste, then pour over the salad and toss to coat.
- Serve the cooked schnitzel alongside the apple slaw, and finish with a dollop of aioli and fresh parsley to garnish.