Thai style beef salad with crispy noodles
Zesty, slightly sweet, with a hint of heat. The perfect salad for spring especially when fresh local lemons are still available in stores at a good price.
This recipe is part of a weekly meal planner for 5 family recipes for under $100.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 500g stir fry beef, rump steak, or your favourite beef cut
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot*, cut into matchsticks
- 15g fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 120g mesclun salad or your favourite salad mix
- 140g crispy noodles
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons*
- ¼ cup sweet chilli sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce or 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, grated or ½ teaspoon crushed garlic
- Combine dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on the stove over high heat, mix beef with salt and pepper and sear in batches until cooked. Set aside.
- Combine sliced red onion, carrots, mint, and mesclun salad together in a large bowl. Pour half of the dressing over the salad and mix through.
- In another bowl combine the remaining dressing with the cooked beef.
- To serve, place salad on a wide dish or bowl, add beef, then top with crispy noodles.
Tips: If using a steak cut of beef, cut into thin slices before searing on the pan. Any mix of salad ingredients will work in this recipe - you want to aim for about 2 loose cups of salad per person.
Leftovers: Eat for lunch the next day.