- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 400g lean beef mince
- 1 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 hamburger buns (Gluten free if required)
- 4 eggs
- Wattie's Classic Burger Sauce
- 4 cheese slices, optional
- 4 lettuce leaves (iceburg)
- Wattie’s Sliced Beetroot
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Heat a dash of oil in a small frying pan and gently cook the onion until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Mix together beef mince, cooked onion and wholegrain mustard. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Form the mixture into 4 patties. Place on a tray and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan and cook the sliced onions over a medium low heat until the onions are soft and golden. This will take 10-15 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- Brush meat patties with a little oil. Cook on a preheated BBQ or in a frying pan, or under the grill. Cook for 6 minutes before turning to cook the other side for a further 5-6 minutes. Allow to rest while preparing the buns.
- Brush the cut hamburger buns with a little oil. BBQ to toast or place under a preheated grill.
- Fry the eggs in a pan with a little oil.
- To assemble spread the buns with a generous amount of Wattie’s Classic Burger Sauce. Top with lettuce leaves, cheese slice (if wished), Wattie’s Sliced Beetroot, sliced tomatoes, meat patty, fried onions and fried egg. Add some cracked pepper and top with the bun lid.
Cooking the sliced onions slowly allows the onions to soften and draws out the sweet flavours as the onions caramelise and turn golden.
Burger patties can be made and frozen uncooked. Place a layer of baking paper between each patty. Freeze in an airtight container. Remove as required. Patties can be cooked from frozen or thawed in the refrigerator before cooking. If cooking from frozen cooking time will be longer.
Switch it up
Create a burger sandwich by replacing the burger buns with thick slices of sourdough or ciabatta bread.
Replace the lettuce, tomatoes and beetroot with your favourite coleslaw ingredients and mix in the Wattie’s Classic Burger Sauce.
Replace the fried egg with a slice of grilled pineapple and a cheese slice.