Homemade chilli jam
Made with love and plenty of spice, this homemade chilli jam is a moreish condiment to accompany any festive meal! This recipe makes enough to fill four generous jars; one for your fridge, and three perfect for gifting this silly season.
- 8 red capsicums, deseeded
- 10 red chillies
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1x 400g tinned whole tomatoes
- 700g jam setting sugar
- 250ml red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp chilli flakes, optional
- Cut the capsicums and chillies into rough chunks, then place into a food processor. Add the garlic cloves, and pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped.
- Transfer the chopped mixture to a heavy based saucepan, then add the tinned tomatoes, sugar and red wine vinegar. Bring to a boil while stirring occasionally, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 45-50 minutes or until the jam begins to reduce.
- Once the jam is looking sticky, add the chilli flakes if desired and carefully stir constantly for a final 10 minutes until bubbling. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the jam to sterilised jars, and leave to cool completely. Keep unopened for up to 3 months in a dark place, or in the fridge once opened.