- 1.5 kg Waitoa free range whole chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 40g butter
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, diced
- 3 sticks celery, trimmed, diced
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 300ml light thickened cream
- 1/3 cup parsley leaves, roughly chopped – optional
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Put chicken into a large saucepan and cover with 8 cups of cold water. Place over a high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 45-55 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and cool. Remove chicken from stock and place onto a large plate. When cool enough to touch, remove meat. Discard skin and bones. Chop or shred chicken meat and place into a bowl. Transfer stock to a large bowl. Wash saucepan.
- Heat oil and butter in saucepan over a medium heat. When butter is melted, add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle flour over vegetables. Stir until well combined. Remove saucepan from heat and slowly add cream, stirring constantly, until combined. Add 2 cups of reserved stock.
- Return saucepan to heat and stir until mixture comes to the boil. Slowly add a further 6 cups of stock, stirring until combined. Bring mixture to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add chicken to saucepan. Stir until combined. Cook for 5 minutes or until chicken is heated through. Ladle into serving bowls. Top with parsley and serve with bread.