Spicy tomato and red lentil soup
"Delicious warming soup easily prepared using pantry ingredients. Recipe produces intense flavours and your guests will think you have spent hours in the kitchen."
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion finely diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 800g tin chopped tomatoes in juice
- 800ml water
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 tablespoon coriander paste
- 1-2 teaspoon harissa paste
- 6 dates finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Natural yoghurt
- In large pot sweat onion in oil.
- Add cumin, coriander, cinnamon & garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, and water and vitamise with kitchen wand.
- Add lentils, both pastes and chopped dates.
- Cook for 20 minutes until lentils are soft.
- Taste and add sugar, salt and pepper to suit.
- Serve with dollop of yoghurt & freshly chopped coriander.