Beetroot veggie burgers
With the growing popularity of vegetarian meals we’ve created this tasty burger made with Wattie’s Beetroot and Chickpeas. Try cooking in the frying pan or on the BBQ this summer for an easy meat-free burger option!
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Gregg's Ground Smoked Paprika
- 400g can Wattie’s Chickpeas in Springwater, drained
- 450g can Wattie's Sliced Beetroot, drained
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 100g creamy feta, crumbled (omit for dairy free)
- 4 burger buns, cut in half and toasted
Toppings of your choice:
- Rocket leaves
- Wattie's Sliced Beetroot
- HEINZ [SERIOUSLY] GOOD™ Original Mayonnaise
- Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion over low heat until soft. Add the Gregg's Ground Smoked Paprika and stir until fragrant. Remove from the heat.
- Place the drained Wattie’s Chickpeas in a food processor and process until they are well mashed.* Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Finely chop ½ the can of Wattie’s Sliced Beetroot and add to the chickpeas with the onion mixture, parsley and crumbled feta. Mix well then form into patties.** Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat a little oil in the frying pan. Cook the patties over medium–low heat for 3–4 minutes on each side or until golden and hot.
- Serve in toasted buns with toppings of your choice: rocket leaves, avocado, the remaining Wattie’s Sliced Beetroot and HEINZ [SERIOUSLY] GOOD™ Original Mayonnaise.
*Make sure the chickpeas are well drained before processing. Process well to ensure chickpeas are mashed so they will bind with other ingredients to form firm patties.
**If you find your mixture is too wet, add a little chickpea flour or plain flour before forming into patties.