- Olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 capsicums, cut into 1cm thick slices
- 2 truss tomatoes, quartered
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ cup instant polenta
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 20g butter
- Fresh parsley or oregano, to garnish
- Bring a heavy based frying pan to a medium heat. Add a generous drizzle of olive oil, then saute the sliced onions for 1-2 minutes before adding the garlic and sliced capsicums.
- Cook while stirring for 4-5 minutes or until the capsicum has started to soften. Add the tomatoes, red wine vinegar and sugar, and stir to combine. Reduce to a low heat, and leave to cook for a final 5-7 minutes or until the capsicums are tender, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To make the polenta, place two cups of water and a pinch of salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, sprinkle the polenta into the saucepan while whisking, and stir continuously until thickened.
- Reduce to a low heat, and stir for 5-10 minutes or until the polenta is tender. Stir in the grated cheddar and butter, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the peperonata over the cheesy polenta and garnish with fresh herbs. Serve immediately.