You won’t miss the meat in this hearty vegetarian bolognese. Use whatever vegetables you have on hand to create a delicious sauce with many uses.
- Dash of oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 capsicum, finely chopped
- 300g mixed vegetables, finely diced (e.g. carrot, parsnip, mushrooms, leek, celery)
- 2-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 heaped teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin lentils, drained
1. Heat oil in a pan and gently cook the onion until well browned, stirring regularly.
2. Add the capsicum and vegetables to the pan, continue cooking gently for 5 minutes, still stirring regularly.
3. Add the garlic and oregano, season with salt and pepper. Stir well and then add the tomatoes.
4. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if it starts to stick.
5. Add the lentils, simmer for a further 5 minutes and serve with pasta.